Wasabi Deviled Eggs
FOOD & DRINK
The devil is in the details of this otherwise familiar classic. Wasabi lends the creamy yolks heat. Enjoy this alongside a Tuna Burger.
- LARGE EGGS ⋅•⋅ 8
- MAYONNAISE ⋅•⋅ 1/3 cup
- WASABI PASTE ⋅•⋅ 1 1/2 tsp
- RICE-WINE VINEGAR (UNSEASONED) ⋅•⋅ 2 tsp
- LARGE SCALLIONS (MINCED) ⋅•⋅ 2 (3 tbs)
- SALT (COARSE)
- PEA SHOOTS or SPROUTS ⋅•⋅ garnish
Wasabi comes in powder form, which you must mix with equal parts water, or already prepared in a tube. Either will work in this recipe.
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Place eggs in a medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover eggs by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 13 minutes. Drain, and transfer eggs to ice-water bath until cold.
- Peel eggs, and halve lengthwise. Transfer yolks to a medium bowl, and mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in mayonnaise, wasabi, vinegar, and scallions. Season with salt. Pipe or spoon filling into whites. Garnish with pea shoots or sprouts.